What other health hazards should I be aware of?
- Africa has its share of insects. Mosquitos are more commonly found in areas with a high rainfall. Sand flies, though commonly found on the coast, can also be found in dry areas. Both are found to come out in the evening and early mornings.
- Some precautions to take against insect bites:
- Wear protective clothing, long sleeve shirts and trousers.
- Wear natural colours, khaki or olive. Bright colours tend to attract insects.
- Use a mosquito net.
- Use insect repellents
- Africa is the continent of sun. Throughout the year it is advisable to use sunscreen and a hat when outdoors.
- Drink water! It is important to stay hydrated, especially in extreme heat. You will be advised if waterquality is not for human consumption. If it comes out of a tap, it is not necessarily safe. Bottled water is readily available to purchase.
- It is normal for people travelling overseas to get an upset stomach due to a change of climate and food. Be sure to look after your food and personal hygiene as a priority to ensure an enjoyable trip.