What is the accommodation like?
- Camping in Africa is a true adventure, giving you the opportunity to experience Africa’s wilderness and nature. We stay at designated campsites in national parks and outside towns.
- Campsite facilities in both Southern and East Africa are generally good but can be very basic in certain areas. There are generally small restaurants and/or bars, washing facilities and occasionally telephone facilities.
- Almost all camps have flush toilets and hot water showers. There are some exceptions where simple reed enclosures might be your only privacy.
- Hot water is available at most sites, but it is not guaranteed depending on the number of guests at the campsite at that time.
- We try to set up camp within close, proximity to ablution facilities, but you may have to walk a short
- We provide all camping equipment with the exception of your sleeping bag, sleeping sheet and pillow on the Premium Camping Adventure Tours.
- For the few days of camping on certain camping tours,we provide a sleeping bag, memory foam travel pillow & mattress to our Premium Accommodated Adventure travellers.
- 2-Person dome tents – these are good quality, durable, industry-standard safari canvas tents, which can be assembled and disassembled within 5 minutes. Your Tour Leader will demonstrate to you how to assemble and disassemble the tent at the beginning of your tour. Most adults will not be able to fully stand up inside the tents, though most travellers find these more than adequate, as they have a base area of approximately 4 square meters. These tents are regularly treated with a waterproofing agent, but under certain rainy conditions, the tent fabric may become saturated to the point where seepage or leakage may occur. All tents have built-in mesh insect netting on the windows and doors.
- Camping mattresses – another first for our industry, we provide oversized camping mattresses and you get to choose between the super-duper memory foam side or the firmer high-rebound sponge side. These are comfortable and approximately 10cm thick.
- Memory foam travel pillow – this is yours to keep after your tour.
- Sleeping bags- we provide sleeping bags to our Premium Accommodated Adventure guests. These are custom made for us with our own branding and rated at -5 degrees Celsius. Hypo-allergenic hollow fibre is used for insulation.
- Portable camp chairs – with a comfortable backrest.
- Cooking equipment - to provide the group with good quality camp meals.
Hotels and Lodges
- All our overnight points are chosen for their great location or special setting. For the most part, these tend to be smaller establishments that cater to our needs and allow for more focus on personal service. Generally, we use establishments with a 3-star rating.
Twin rooms / shared accommodation
- At a few remote establishments, we stay in basic, comfortable and clean twin rooms. Most of the time you will have en-suite bathroom facilities, but there might be exceptions where you will share with more than one person. Your itinerary will specify the type of accommodation and the level of comfort.
- On the Premium Camping Adventure Tours, we might include some multi-share accommodation or dorm-style accommodation.